EBT Forum / For all Things Bikes
June 16, 2019, 09:00:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1986 kx 125 bike build  (Read 2913 times)
Bradkx86
Intermediate

« on: March 01, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »

im doing a build on a 1986 kx 125 and I also have a 1987 kx 125 that ill be using some of those parts here is a few pics if follow the link should see photos as I not sure how to put them to here http://www.flickr.com/photos/109462343@N02/10990482185/     ive  had the 1986 kx 125 for around 6 months its just missing some brakes and it needs a proper 2 stroke muffler but after having a good look at the bike I noticed 2 cracks in the frame that needs fixing so I won the 1987 kx 125 on ebay for $137.50 bargin and thinking I could use that frame but ran into few probs in doing that with the 86 exp chamber being in different position to the 87 and a few others so im now looking at getting my 86 frame welded up and running the 1987 plastics ,rear shock, subframe and airbox as the subframe is same size so im at the stage where im just waiting to get my frame welded up then I can build it up I havnt even riden it yet as it has no brakes so but im unsure on the 87 kx yet I might put it away for a rainy day and build later on my aim is to have it built within a month that's if it all goes to plan let us know if that link to my pics don't work and ill be posting updates on here
Bradkx86
Intermediate

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »

well I got onto one of my mates today who has a welder he is coming over tomoz to suss out my cracked frame and will be welding it once that is done wont be too far away of being done I have uploaded another pic of my sub frame it has 87 air box 87 side plastics my 86 seat and a 94 kx 500 rear fender ill wait till my bike is fully together when I decide on my rear fender anyone have any opinions please share id like to here what you think http://www.flickr.com/photos/109462343@N02/
Mick
Full Throttle

Founder of EBT Forum, but no longer owner..

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »

The photo's are good Brad, welding those frame's should be no problem at all if a good welder is doing the job.

Your a long time dead, so get out there and enjoy yourself while you still can :-) would loved to have been able to race vintage enduro bikes in Victoria, but sadly that as yet has not happened, so many blokes would have loved to be able to race, owell shit loads of us still have the memory's of racing enduro bikes back in the late 70's and 80's, time to move on to other things I guess :-) but if racing classes for vinduro bikes start then I will dust off my bike and be out there racing my old bike as that is what it was made for ( Racing )
Bradkx86
Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 01:50:39 PM »

few more pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/109462343@N02/                    today I put the 87 kx sub frame onto the 86 bike to see what it all would look like it don't look to bad but I wont be able to use the kx500 rear fender as it sits to high but still all good with orig 86 fender
Bradkx86
Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:56:16 AM »

well I get my frame back today it was getting welded up so I can now paint my frame think ill go green with silver foot pegs and ive done the rear spring blue should come up alrigtht then its assemble time just hope the engine is as easy as it was to get out when I put it back in but with my luck nothing ever goes back in the same way it come out just a matter of getting the swing arm all bolted up as I got the engine ,wireing ,radiator all out as one I set myself a limit of a month to have my bike all together and running and its already been 2 weeks so I think im doing alright and that hasn't been rushing it either just done a bit here and there every day day I have few pin holes in my exp chamber but I have been told its hard to weld them up as the material being thin welding can just destroy them so im not sure what to do there if anyone has any ideas let me know will have more pics coming soon of painted frame and bike being assembled
tony66
Full Throttle

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »

the green frame should look good and if you keep chipping at it it will be done in no time and then you cant head off riding and having some fun. have you got some photos of the exp chamber on where the holes are and how big they are.
cheers tony

2004 KLX 300 when put back together
1991 KDX 200 going
1981 KDX 175 almost going
and a kanga which is green to keep with the theme
Bradkx86
Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:46:54 AM »

the exp chamber just has few pin holes along the side along the welds but one of me mates told me that it might be hard to weld it as they are  thin as if I got it welded it could stuff it not sure how ill fix it .its been a while since ive had the bike running so when I fire it up ill suss them all out and mark the spots as it was spitting black crap out I will et a new full system when I can maybe I can just patch it till I get a new exhaust set up might get away with some exhaust cement for now fo fill the holes up ive use that stuff on car exhaust and found it to work well

Husky 85
Full Throttle

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 01:33:06 PM »

Geoff Morris or another exhaust maker will fix that pretty cheap. google him on Geoff Morris Concepts.

cant beat a comfy seat!
Bradkx86
Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 11:05:30 PM »

well I got my frame back the other day from being welded I sanded the frame nice and smooth and I painted the frame and let it sit over night and I got stuck into to it putting it all together few small things to do like brakes and a proper 2 stroke muffler so im mostly done but not quite finished can wait to ride the kx I haven't rode a dirt bike for 6 months far too long but worth the wait I guess ive added some new pics and there is a couple of it all together http://www.flickr.com/photos/109462343@N02/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: