EBT Forum / For all Things Bikes
June 17, 2019, 12:48:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1984 KDX 250 (Built to BTX Motorcycles specs)  (Read 5196 times)
AlexV
Novice

« on: May 20, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »

I am in touch with Murray Tainton and one of his latest projects is this KDX 250 (Build date is 1/85 as per the compliance plate). It is in virtually new condition even before its cleanup and was purchased from one of his customers that bought it from him back then and still has the original Metzeler Motocross tyres from that era is excellent condition. The tank decals are the original ones.

It has been built to the traditional BTX race specs. Still to arrive is a Rod Tingate alloy muffler that was fitted in the day that is much shorter than the 18" long stock steel unit. Many of the other KX/KDX photo's I have posted shows these units.  One of the mods done back then was cut off about 8" from the steel one and reweld.

I will upload the magazine article from T&T once I get a better copy of it through my new scanner that describes in details all the mods.

Other projects in his workshop is a PE400T to be built for riding to BTX specs. A KDX 200 and another 83'KDX250. Some of his other finished and almost finished projects are some very rare early 70's and late 60's dual and triple cylinder 2 stroke road bikes that I have never heard of from Kawasaki and Honda.
Mick
Full Throttle

Founder of EBT Forum, but no longer owner..

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »

Thats one very nice bike  Smiley

Cheers Mick.

Your a long time dead, so get out there and enjoy yourself while you still can :-) would loved to have been able to race vintage enduro bikes in Victoria, but sadly that as yet has not happened, so many blokes would have loved to be able to race, owell shit loads of us still have the memory's of racing enduro bikes back in the late 70's and 80's, time to move on to other things I guess :-) but if racing classes for vinduro bikes start then I will dust off my bike and be out there racing my old bike as that is what it was made for ( Racing )
Dewy123
Full Throttle

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:49:59 AM »

Geez thats a very nice looking KDX  Shocked Smiley For us young-ens on here, what was BTX all about?
Thanks for sharing, Dewy.  Grin
AlexV
Novice

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »

Dewy,
Below is part of an article I wrote back in November 2007 for the PE Yahoo forum when i caught up with Murray from BTX.
Since that day i have been able to raid his old photo albums and his memory about the past to assist others in restorations and the preservation of knowledge of these older bikes.

[[I called past BTX Motorcycles this morning and caught up with Murray Tainton (after Leith reminded me of this gentleman) who both ran a Suzuki/Kawasaki dealership from the mid 70's (Still does), ran the Suzuki Australia Enduro Team between the late 70's and until when the PE's ceased production in around 1982.  From then he ran the Kawasaki Enduro team for another ten years with KDX 175's, 200's etc.

Time was a premium this morning as I simply waltzed into his shop and introduced myself, and had to jostle for his ear and mind between serving new bike customers coming into his dealership. So I couldnt ask every possible question that i wanted, and 20 minutes was the maximum acceptable to take up this guys time.

He raced a CZ 360 in MX then progressed to an SWM GS 175 that I spoke with him about (and emailed him photo's of the SWM that attended the recent Vinduro over here), he won the Australian enduro championships on that in '78, then went onto PE 175 N's and T's (He is a guy about 60 odd Kilos, 132 pounds, and about 5 foot 6, so of smaller stature).

At one of the Australian 4 day events in 1980 he held the speed test record on his PE 175T of the fastest time achieved in the quarter mile speed test (drag race more like it!!) beating all the bigger bikes. If anyone knows how to get power and performance out of these bikes Murray does. I found it hard to belive at first but it was true.

He also ran his business called Muzza Products from the late 70's to the mid 80's producing tank tool bags and other enduro gear, alloy straight through mufflers etc (also for PE's which he sold hundreds of these) made to his specifications by Rod Tingate.

A lot of old names came up which I have long forgotten such as Brian White who absolutely blitzed the Enduro field in the early 80's on Murrays prepared PE 400T's and X's. Those PE 400's beat Huskies, Maicos and everything else.
Murray said that they spent "hundreds" of hours getting the PE's going really good, modifying the carburetors, suspension, and even fitting RM ignition boxes on them (I assume CDI units). They did some radical porting work such as lifting the exhaust ports by up to 4mm on the 400 and about 1mm on the 175's!! "in order to get these engines to really work hard and rev out".  Many of the PE's had a seizure issue and that was caused by that small nick or cut out at the top of the cylinder barrel filling up with carbon (mine was and after listening to what Murray had to say it is getting a good clean out before I assemble the motor) and acting like a secondary spark plug causing preigntion. They solved this problem by using an ashless 2T oil to stop carboning. They also enlarged that groove by slightly machining it larger and this increased performance, not reducing it as I once stated.

This next one took me by surprise. Another mod was to split the expansion chamber on all the PE models and cut away the secondary sheetmetal skin on the inside that also had fibreglass packing to stop the tinny noise resonating through for ADR regs. Murray said this mod really "opened up" the performance of the bikes. This was news to me and I wasnt aware of this secondary casing on the inside with baffling...............are others aware of this?? Has anyone cut open the fat part of the expansion chamber to find this out?

He was telling me how they used to hold tyre changing competitions with other PE riders at Enduro's and how good the cush drive system was on these bikes. The best he could do was 4.5 minutes and the best guy 3 minutes if I recall correctly.

He also has at home a Suzuki Australia poster advertising the PE's with all the medals earnt by the Enduro Team down the side. I think Murray is in the poster as well. Has anyone seen this poster before?

He still has plenty of PE parts on hand with a "couple boxes" still at his mates place for storage, as he doesnt have room at his place, and I have written back to Murray since (and sent some photo's) stating that I would like to perhaps call around to inventory what is there for the possible benefit of other members of our forum, and bring a slab (box of beer for our international members) around for inconveniencing his mate. He does have a NOS rear guard on hand as well out the back of his shop, to fit a 175.................but arent they all the same across all engine sizes?
He recently fired his spare parts guy as he stole many old PE/RM parts from another inventory when they shifted to their new dealership about 6 weeks ago (plastic ware and other parts) and put these on Ebay. The parts guy thought the boss will never know until another staff member started seeing all these parts appear on Ebay for PE's under this guys name and when Murray went to check all those PE parts were gone and added one and one together.

BTX occassionally get old PE's owners coming around wanting to offload PE's that have been evicted out of their garages, as recently as 3 months ago a fairly good 175T was bought around but BTX couldnt be bothered with it. He said there must truckloads of old bikes still around in peoples possession that have been forgotten waiting to come out again.

After my discussions with Murray I may have whetted his appetite for old enduro machines as he said he wouldnt mind getting hold of an SWM for nostalgia purposes like he had (not to ride) or even a PE. He will also attend from now on more VMX events and any other events for classic dirt bikes when time allows and told him of Classic Dirt 5 next April of which I will hopefully attend.
I have also asked him in writing (as our conversation ended when more new bike customers came onto the floor of his busy KTM, Suzuki and Sea-Doo dealership) if he knows of this PE movie set in the outback.

This guy is a wealth of knowledge on PE's and had to really cast his mind back over 25 years and I think that i only extracted barely the tip of the iceberg from the man.
He even still has a box with copies of Trail & Track and Australasian Dirt Bike magazines of where his articles were in the Enduro section and where PE owners wrote in asking tech questions about their bikes.

I will keep in touch with Murray and see what else comes out from his mind from a quarter of a century ago. ]]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: