EBT Forum / For all Things Bikes
June 17, 2019, 01:06:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Six reasons why you should buy the KLR250..."  (Read 2994 times)
Tex
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »

Summarised version of advertisement in ADB, July 1985.

Six reasons why you should buy the KLR250 if you want the best 250cc trailbike

1. The engine is longer lasting and more reliable.
The main problem with modern four strokes is temperature... We gave the KLR liquid cooling to keep engine temperatures down to where they won't overheat the oil... in nearly 12 months of use they have proven themselves bulletproof.

2. The engine is easier to start than other 250cc four-strokes.
...Kawasaki's Automatic Compression Release (KACR) is activated as soon as you use the kickstart lever...

3. Kawasaki's single throat carburettor.
...No fuss. No complexity. No tuning hassles. No maintenance hassles... You're not going to spend hours in the garage trying to get it to run right. Nor will you spend hours trailside after you drop it in a creek, trying to dry out two carburettors that are almost impossible to get at...

4. The smoothness of dual counter-rotating engine balancers.
A smoother running engine gives you two important advantages. First, it reduces rider fatigue... Second, it extends the life of your whole bike...

5. Fine attention to detail.
...six speed gearbox... DOHC and four valves... remote water reservoir that is easily toppped up... sturdy alloy bashplate... completely waterproof airbox... slim shaped steel fuel tank...

6. The most competitive price in its class.
The KLR250 is the best value for dollar in the competitively priced 250cc street/trail class, because you get more features for your money...
canam370
Clubman

yeah,yeah...real funny...

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:10:42 PM »

Uh - huh....... Shocked

1.  Chewed out cylinder heads and cams. Cracking heads. Burning oil. Not enough oil capacity. Dodgy crank. Still, good for 12mths! Whoopee!!!
 2.  ....which flog out, rattle and jam. How hard is it to start a low performance 4 stroke?
 3.  Actually not too many problems here....the engines had usually crapped out before the carb wore out.
 4. Build it properly and you don't need the extra weight and complexity.
 5. The fuel tank is very prone to rusting out. Sturdy bash plate was required as ground clearance was pox. If the thing runs so cool then why is it so important to have great access to the fluid reservoir?
 6. Value for money? - sell it cheap or we'll die with the pig.

Yep, what a beaut!

Canams and SWM's wanted dead or alive. Parts too!
Tex
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »

Ha ha, I wondered how those bold claims would hold up 20+ years later!

It was quite a comprehensive ad, I just picked out a few key words. They were obviously very proud of their new bike! For all the faults you pointed out canam370, Kawasaki persisted with this "beaut" with no changes other than paint & decals for 17 years!

More of a lemon than a classic then?!

Tex
canam370
Clubman

yeah,yeah...real funny...

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »

Well, they did change the tank mounting - dunno why!

Time can be harsh on a model and I probably am too. It's hard to find one today which isn't rooted.

Canams and SWM's wanted dead or alive. Parts too!
Tony T
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 10:31:20 PM »

Hey Tex!! You've been reading my magazines!!!!  Undecided   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

It's amazing how certain models turn out to be pretty crap but we sometimes don't hear a lot about the problems.
A perfect example was this morning when I was in my local shop (chasing a particular shock rebuild............) when a guy came in with an XR650 engine with a locked up bigend.
Both the owner and the bike shop owner agreed how common it was for the bigend bearing cage to come apart!!  Shocked But I've never heard of that being a major problem with them.  Huh? 

I always thought KLR250's weren't too bad. Maybe not..............  Cheesy Cheesy
frostype400
Global Moderator
Full Throttle

pe400 benalla

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:01:31 AM »

Did the XR650's use to swallow the choke butterfly like the xr600's or was that only the 600's the 600's with the dual carb were buggers to start if you didn't get them first few kicks.

pe400x2 74gt80a 76rd250cd mt250 wanted tm400 project and suzuki pe parts.
Tex
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »

Hey Tex!! You've been reading my magazines!!!!

Guilty as charged!  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: