EBT Forum / For all Things Bikes
June 16, 2019, 09:51:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KAWASAKI KLR 650 anyone know much about these??  (Read 5571 times)
Mick
Full Throttle

Founder of EBT Forum, but no longer owner..

« on: November 02, 2010, 05:58:50 PM »

I am thinking about buying something like this to ride around town and do the odd tour on, anyone own one or know much about this model??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2007-KAWASAKI-KLR-650-/170560370692?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item27b630b804

Your a long time dead, so get out there and enjoy yourself while you still can :-) would loved to have been able to race vintage enduro bikes in Victoria, but sadly that as yet has not happened, so many blokes would have loved to be able to race, owell shit loads of us still have the memory's of racing enduro bikes back in the late 70's and 80's, time to move on to other things I guess :-) but if racing classes for vinduro bikes start then I will dust off my bike and be out there racing my old bike as that is what it was made for ( Racing )
LWC3077
Full Throttle

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:22:47 PM »

What do you want to know? They are very reliable. Just dont get a old 0's or 90's one thats racked up a heap of KM's though because it will no doubt need a heap work. I know a guy who had 91 or 92 model and we put a sidecar and leading link on it ages ago and he used it to do the birdsville track and canning stock route etc on it and even did a couple 24 hour trials on it. A couple years ago the motor and bike in general were tired and it was gonna cost him about $3000 to do up the motor plus extra to make the bike & outfit look pretty again and then he saw brand new 08 or 09 models on display somewhere for 8G brand new so he bought one instead as it was basically cheaper and all new. The idea was to swap the sidecar and leading link from his old one to the new one which we did. Its basically went on ok. The only mount i needed to change was the one at the footpeg. The basic frame and motor hasnt really changed since 87. His aim was to only use it for touring and not competion so the fairing etc stayed on. Because of the new sidecar rules for road use in SA, you need a seat in the sidecar for passengers now so i think it was earler this year we put a go kart seat that the onwer supplied in there.

Basically you cant go wrong with this model, you will have no BS with it, they are rock solid. Just keep up regular oil and filter changes like all 4T's and they go for ages with no probs at all. You will have no worries with valves and head like there is with all the new type 4T's. the KLR is still an 80's generation motor. Excellent for trouring. Depending on what sort of riding you are doing and how much luggage you want to carry, you may need to stiffen up the shock and fork as they are pretty plush standard.

If you have the money and want this type of bike then just go for it. Keep in mind new ones are only about 8G so be carefull with ebay ones that are 3/4 of the price of a new one and several years old.

There are also forums dedicated to setting up KLR650's for touring and adventure riding.

WANTED - TS185C   frame.  Between   TS1852-24007  up to TS1852-39022

http://suzukits.informe.com/forum/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PEmotorcycles/
Mick
Full Throttle

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:38:54 PM »

Thanks for the info Leith, I will not be buying one tomorrow but more looking within the next year or so as my ride around town and sometime tour bike, thinking the bike will last me for years, and yes I would have to stiffen up the suspension thats for sure, I do like the look of this one with all the extra gear on it and think I would like a bike fitted out something like this one but maybe with a bum tank of some sought, due to the total lack of people that want to get out riding these days, I am going to have to buy something that I can just head off when ever I like for a ride, still keeping a full on dirt bike though.

I was thinking about a road bike but I am not really built to good for one and plus I like to get off on the odd dirt road to go sight seeing at times.

Cheers Mick.

Your a long time dead, so get out there and enjoy yourself while you still can :-) would loved to have been able to race vintage enduro bikes in Victoria, but sadly that as yet has not happened, so many blokes would have loved to be able to race, owell shit loads of us still have the memory's of racing enduro bikes back in the late 70's and 80's, time to move on to other things I guess :-) but if racing classes for vinduro bikes start then I will dust off my bike and be out there racing my old bike as that is what it was made for ( Racing )
Tony T
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 08:58:03 PM »

Leith's one the money.
I had one new when they first came out in '87 and it was a very reliable and capable all-rounder.
The only things I changed on mine were the bars, rubber footpegs and exhaust.
I only sold it to buy the DR750 cos it was bigger!  Cheesy Cheesy
I'm not keen on the new shape like the one in the advert, but that's just a personal choice. The original shape was around until about 2005 I reckon.
Mick
Full Throttle

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »

Your right there Leith a mate of mine has had one since new early 90 model
          he has done cape york4 time alice you name it . it started blowing a bit of
          smoke last year 165000 kl all he done was rebore new piston and rings and
          a valve grind not bad hey. he goes up the high country a lot on it rides most
          of the tracks up there . it would suit you mick as they have a long range ride
          club for these bikes like alice and back cape york mainly on dirt roads too

Poppy..

165.000K's Bl#ody hell thats a good effort, yes I would like to do some trips, might even go over and and say G'Day to our SA friends if there is a Beer-BBQ on offer  Grin maybe even get a small tour of some of the SA area's to a warm up of something bigger down the track  Smiley  

Cheers Mick.

trailietrash
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 09:26:38 PM »

I had a 1986 KLR250 many, many years ago, It got me to TAFE and back each week to finish the last year of my trade without any problems with the bike. The round trip of 110Kms on the Kwaka 36 times in a year on a mix of dirt and tar roads was an easy task for the KLR. So I guess the 650 is as reliable as this old 250, of which the only complaints that I herd of for the 250 bike was that it was heavy and underpowered. Service manual for the 250 is a supplement from the 650 manual so they must share some similar traits. Made to last, rather than, made to be fast, a good old reliable bike  Smiley
Tony T
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:41:54 PM »

, might even go over and and say G'Day to our SA friends if there is a Beer-BBQ on offer  Grin

Bloody hell! He wants BBQ AND beer..........  Roll Eyes       Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

btw Tony Kirby did 150k on his '87 KLR as well without a rebuild.  Grin
Mick
Full Throttle

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »

, might even go over and and say G'Day to our SA friends if there is a Beer-BBQ on offer  Grin

Bl#ody hell! He wants BBQ AND beer..........  Roll Eyes       Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

btw Tony Kirby did 150k on his '87 KLR as well without a rebuild.  Grin

Well after the Beer Review of SA Beer dont worry about the Beer  Grin  Cheesy

Cheers Mick.

LWC3077
Full Throttle

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 10:31:50 PM »

I have got the KLR250 and 600 manual and yeah one suppliments the other, you need both manuals.

yeah rubber footpegs are a bit crappy but overall they are a solid bike.

WANTED - TS185C   frame.  Between   TS1852-24007  up to TS1852-39022

http://suzukits.informe.com/forum/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PEmotorcycles/
Tex
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 09:55:56 AM »

You can buy new ones quite cheaply I think. They certainly have a lot of fans around the world.

Tex
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: