EBT Forum / For all Things Bikes
June 16, 2019, 09:28:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KLX 450R  (Read 2998 times)
smash78
« on: May 14, 2010, 08:56:34 PM »

Hi all, thinking of buying a KLX 450, can anyone tell me what there like. The local bike shop has a demo one that has done 6500km and only now needs the valves replacing which i think is a very good run out of a demo bike that has had the living hell flogged out of it. The bike seems to be a really good all rounder and a good bike to replace the trusty XR 400 that i have. Was thinking about buying a CRF 450X but the replacing of valves every couple of thousand km does not grab me
cheers Ash
Mick
Full Throttle

Founder of EBT Forum, but no longer owner..

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »

I dont think you need to replace the valves every couple of thousands of K's my mate works at the local Honda dealers and he reckons 5,000K's maybe speak to RMXPhil forum member here, he has a CRF 450 X I think and races it so I would think he would be able to tell you more about them.

As for the KLX 450 R going by the write ups in the mags they dont seem a race bike straight out of the crate so to speak, but are a very good trail bike for mister & misses average weekend rider, softer suspension etc,etc,,,Have you ridden that demo bike yet.

Your a long time dead, so get out there and enjoy yourself while you still can :-) would loved to have been able to race vintage enduro bikes in Victoria, but sadly that as yet has not happened, so many blokes would have loved to be able to race, owell shit loads of us still have the memory's of racing enduro bikes back in the late 70's and 80's, time to move on to other things I guess :-) but if racing classes for vinduro bikes start then I will dust off my bike and be out there racing my old bike as that is what it was made for ( Racing )
LWC3077
Full Throttle

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »

Its going to be a lot more demanding maintenance and wallet wise like most of the new 4 strokes. You either gotta accept it and live with it, go for an older 4T or get a 2 stroke. If you ask me it sucks that the average trail riding bloke is left with this choice but thats the way it is, or you can protest by not buying these new 4 strokes which may make the factories do some rethinking, either bring back some 2 stroke models or tone down the 4 strokes so they are not so high maintenance and more like your XR. I mean come one, why couldnt they just put a water jacket on the XR400, bump the capacity up to 450 or what ever, update the rest of the bike a bit but keep the reliabilty there. They just had to keep pusing the envelope though and wanted 2T power and performance out of 4T's which was always going to cause problems. If your faced with a choice i would pick the KLX over the CRF for sure, although i have heard some horror stories on the KLX too. Im pretty sure there was one in the 2t vs 4T thread, something about a big end worn out really quickly and the dealer saying 'yeah thats normal'

WANTED - TS185C   frame.  Between   TS1852-24007  up to TS1852-39022

http://suzukits.informe.com/forum/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PEmotorcycles/
Mick
Full Throttle

Founder of EBT Forum, but no longer owner..

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:16:38 PM »

I wonder why they did not just slap a XR 650 motor in say a CRF 450 X frame with a few little mods,,doing that would have made the bike low on tool work time and plenty of power to boot.

Your a long time dead, so get out there and enjoy yourself while you still can :-) would loved to have been able to race vintage enduro bikes in Victoria, but sadly that as yet has not happened, so many blokes would have loved to be able to race, owell shit loads of us still have the memory's of racing enduro bikes back in the late 70's and 80's, time to move on to other things I guess :-) but if racing classes for vinduro bikes start then I will dust off my bike and be out there racing my old bike as that is what it was made for ( Racing )
LWC3077
Full Throttle

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 10:41:51 PM »

It has all been about MX and professonal racing. They dont seem to be building bikes with trail riders in mind. All that do is pass down MX/SX bikes and fine tune them and slap some lights on and there is your trail bike. Yeah the power and performance is great but at what cost?.Its ok for pro MX riders or enduro riders with dealer sponsorship. Bikes like an XR400 were purpose built trail bikes. Back when the XR400 was new, If you were serious about racing you bought a KTM or husky 2 stroke, a WR 2T yam, a KDX 200 or RMX250 or maybe a TE Husky or LC4 KTM. But Having said that the good thing about the XR was that it could do all things quite well. Trail riding, ride to work and racing maybe with some mods and they were still reliable. When you read into it more, in depth, there is way more to it as to why these new 4 strokes were pushed onto us and are now the 'norm'. Suzuki seems to be one of the only ones with brains keeping the DRZ400 but even still they should have kept the RMX250 or developed another 2 stroke for the 'racer'. i spose they now have the RMX 450 4T but even something like this is most likely going to hurt the wallet of a amature racer. Only time will tell where things are going to go with bikes. i think the magazines have a lot to answer for as they played a role in swaying readers over to buying the new gen 4T's I still remember buying the issue of ADB in 98 with the YZF400 on the front. That really started it. Anyway Back to the KLX, yeah just keep in mind you will need to spend more money on it than the XR (if your XR was in good shape and had been looked after well). What i would have liked if they kept the old type watercooled KLX250/650 and updatd those a bit and developed a 400-500 cc motor of the same reliable design. That would have been real good. I always wanted one of those green KLX250's from around 94-96, as back then they were the pick of the 250cc 4 strokes and were a lot better than the XR250 and TT-R250.

dalesween
Full Throttle

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 10:44:28 PM »

Thats the sort of bike we all want Mick.

KTM 360 exc IT250K YZ80 PW50
Tex
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 11:55:40 PM »

I always wanted one of those green KLX250's from around 94-96, as back then they were the pick of the 250cc 4 strokes and were a lot better than the XR250 and TT-R250

I have a copy of AMCN from 1994 with a comparison of those three bikes. They actually pick the TTR as narrowly being the best. Mind you they were using a SR version of the KLX, rather than the R version, though it's not much different...

Tex
LWC3077
Full Throttle

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 03:46:56 PM »

Tex, the SR which i believe was the red trail version was a bit different to the pure competition green model. The tests i read in ADB and maybe T&T always had the enduro green one ahead of the others in most areas.

smash78
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 05:23:32 PM »

Havnt ridden the demo bike yet its still being fixed! I agree with you all about the high performance 4 strokes, we now dont really have any choice but to buy one or go back to the 2 banger which i think will be cheaper to maintain than the 4 stroke. Or stick to with the ever reliable XR 400 ( which iam thinking of doing ). Grin
Tex
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 10:05:20 PM »

Tex, the SR which i believe was the red trail version was a bit different to the pure competition green model. The tests i read in ADB and maybe T&T always had the enduro green one ahead of the others in most areas.

Yes indeed, it was the red one in the AMCN article. I've never actually seen one in the flesh. They did note that it was the SR version, but claimed there was not much difference to the R model. Road bike mag, so what would they know though, eh?!

Tex
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: