EBT Forum / For all Things Bikes
December 15, 2017, 05:17:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun weekend  (Read 332 times)
Mick
Full Throttle

Founder of EBT Forum, but no longer owner..

« on: February 26, 2017, 09:59:29 AM »

A couple of months back, Dewy ( Ryan Dew ) contacted me and said would I be keen - up to leading a X - Adventure bike ride in the Bogies ( Strathbogie Rangers ) I said yes, Dewy wanted it to be on the 17-18-19th Feb.

I have not ridden the Bogies for about 3 years and so I thought I better do some pre rides and check the tracks out and see if anything has changed up there, also to add the rangers next to the Bogies to give the fellas a look at some of our history ( Ned Kelly ) stringy bark creek and get them over to Tolmie Pub for a feed, plus the Saturday ride would give me a chance to see how some I have not ridden with are like on there bike ( skill level ) before the full on Sunday ride I had planned for them.

While waiting for the ford blokes to get ready, 3 of us were dressed and ready and just sitting around, one of the blokes said I am going to go for a quick spin, how true that statement was, he took off got to 2nd gear and then bang he hit a rope-strap he him self had set up and made a mess of his bike ( KTM 690 ) and himself broken leg, although he and us at the time did not know it was broken, so he wanted to go home and drive him self with what he thought was just a sore leg, so me and the other bloke that were waiting to ride, packed all his gear up and he was off for home.

Onto the ride.

The Saturday ride I thought being a more normal adventure ride might have been a bit to boring for these younger not long away from there enduro bikes, but at the end of the day they all said that was a good ride ( 160k ) with about 40k on tar to get food and fuel, the Tolmie to Mansfield road is great fun on the bikes and the last section the ones that took on the longest single trail in the Bogies 5k came out saying wow that was a challenge on adventure bikes, but fun  Wink

We got the news on old mate that he had a clean broken leg  Shocked shit tuff bugger to drive 3 hours home I thought.

When back at camp more blokes had turned up for Saturday night and the ride on Sunday, Saturday night the longest single trail got lots of air time with everyone, I was thinking wait till you see what I have for you all tomorrow  Grin they wanted single trails and I had plenty lined up for them.

After a great night around the fire laughing and laughing the last two to hit the sack Mick & Karl, I was then back up at 7am and time for a feed, the others all slowly got up, got to say I was keen as to get riding and was ready by 8am but these ford workers are slow to get moving, there on hourly rate and it showed  Grin Cheesy

The ford blokes were finally ready to ride 9.20  Roll Eyes  Smiley

With in 1k I took the blokes into a single trail that I had not pre ridden, half way through I was like  Shocked this has got harder than when I was last down here  Grin popped out of that and took off along good flowing fire trails for about 3k and then waited for the rest to catch up at a turn off, once all there I took off to the start of the next single trail, one bloke said Mick I will give this single a miss, so I sent the others down it and me and the other bloke rode the fire trails around to the end of the single trail, waiting, waiting about 40mins go's by and finally they pop out, now this track normally takes about 15mins tops so I was like what happened fellas, are we had to fix Karls bash plate on his KTM 690, o ok all good away we went again.

The next 7 odd k was nice easy trails and then I pulled up at the next single trail, this time no one was keen, remember they wanted me to take them down singles on there adventure bikes which I thought was a little crazy really and even more so the Bogies single trails  Grin Cheesy so now that they have worked out there adventure bikes limits well were there not that much fun to ride, we did trails from then on Grin Cheesy.

15 mins later one of the blokes forks shit themselves ( DR 650 of course  Cheesy ) told them to buy a KLR  Roll Eyes Grin so not long after that I sent him on a nice easy road back to camp while the rest of us moved on.

I took the rest of the blokes to a lookout and then off to Euroa for a feed & fuel WR 250 was low, then back into the Bogies for some more fun fire trails and then over to Golden View lookout, then it started raining which was good as it settle the dust for the blokes at the back of the pack.

After riding for about 6 hours by this point it was decided to head for camp, but not before sending the blokes that had not been on the longest single trail in the Bogies with Dewy leading the way, I took one bloke the easy way back to camp, when the others arrived they all loved the track and agreed it was a tuff one for adventure bikes.

200k covered for the day, anyone that has ridden the Bogies knows that's a big days ride.

I had put a lot of pre time into this weekend of riding so the blokes would hopefully have a good weekend, at the end they all said they loved it and look forward to coming back again, in winter, if they thought the bogies was a challenge in summer wait till winter time  Grin nah there all good riders and will love it.

I am glad Dewy contacted me as it was great getting out to the Bogies again after 3 years away, it made me realise just how much fun the riding is there.

Your a long time dead, so get out there and enjoy yourself while you still can :-) would loved to have been able to race vintage enduro bikes in Victoria, but sadly that as yet has not happened, so many blokes would have loved to be able to race, owell shit loads of us still have the memory's of racing enduro bikes back in the late 70's and 80's, time to move on to other things I guess :-) but if racing classes for vinduro bikes start then I will dust off my bike and be out there racing my old bike as that is what it was made for ( Racing )
Husky 85
Full Throttle

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:55:22 AM »

lovely spot for sure mick. I must get  over for a spin as its been10 years since I toured around there on the kdx 200

cant beat a comfy seat!
Mick
Full Throttle

Founder of EBT Forum, but no longer owner..

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:18:21 PM »

If you want to have a ride at the Bogies for a day or two I would be happy to show you some good tracks, just contact me and we can sort something out.

Your a long time dead, so get out there and enjoy yourself while you still can :-) would loved to have been able to race vintage enduro bikes in Victoria, but sadly that as yet has not happened, so many blokes would have loved to be able to race, owell shit loads of us still have the memory's of racing enduro bikes back in the late 70's and 80's, time to move on to other things I guess :-) but if racing classes for vinduro bikes start then I will dust off my bike and be out there racing my old bike as that is what it was made for ( Racing )
Husky 85
Full Throttle

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 01:29:28 PM »

im currently like you were after the first adventure ride... broken wing..getting a scan today...possible rotocuff injury

cant beat a comfy seat!
Tony H
Tony62
Administrator
Full Throttle

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »

Sounds like a great ride Mick. Covering some good terrain and challenged a few. Hope the injured bloke heals up quick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: